Monday, March 21, 2011

Write what you know...

It's an old adage that when you start to write you should write about what you know.  So, I'll kick off my blog with the not-so-holy trinity of the three things that I know most about (in no particular order):
  • Science
  • Soccer
  • Food
I figured if I could hit all three that would be the best place to start.   Somehow, while I was kicking around ideas during my 'research'  I found an article on a more-than-life-size chocolate statue of David Beckham in Japan.  Bingo! I hit the trifecta. The three metre-high statue was created by confectionery manufacturer, Meiji, as part of an advertising campaign for their new "Almond Choco" sweet in 2002. The word "tasty" came to my mind.  Twice.


In much smaller doses than you would find in any statue, dark chocolate is now considered quite healthful due to its cocoa phenols.  Chocolate contains more antioxidants than red wine or teas, and in particular dark chocolate, is considered one of the major contributors of antioxidants to the American diet after fruits and vegetables.  It's important to keep the dose small, just a couple of pieces, so that the benefits are not outweighed by the increase in calories.  45g of dark chocolate a day  improves HDL cholesterol in diabetes patients, reduces blood pressure, and reduces cardiovascular disease. Delicious chocolate with health benefits - I would feel cheated in the placebo group in these studies.       


To get the most bang for your buck, choose a bar with 80% or greater cocoa content.  My current favorites are: Green and Black Organic Dark (85%), Valrhona Le Noir (85%) and if you're feeling particularly adventurous, try Endangered Species at a mouth puckering 88%.  


So, forget the guilt and enjoy this important component of your diet - just remember to limit your serving size to half of one of Becks's chocolate fingers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment